- Always check IDs when someone uses a credit card and make sure the picture matches the person.
- Cashiers should also verify that the customer's signature matches the signature on the card.
- Cashiers can be required to take the name and address of the customer when selling gift cards. If customers have an objection, they should be told it is for security purposes due to frequent theft of gift cards.
- If you accept credit cards over the phone, always get the CVV (3-digit security code on the back of the card) and zip code.
- Cashier's can refuse to complete the transaction if the customer gives a zip code that doesn't match.
These security measures are only as good as the cashier's discipline in following them. Therefore it is important for managers to enforce these security policies.
Learn more about security and loss prevention for retailers,
or visit our website